LO statement regarding the military coup in Myanmar
International issues Trade unions around the world are appalled at the military coup in Myanmar. LO and our affiliated unions share concerns about this attack on democracy in Myanmar.
Together with trade unions globally, LO and our affiliated unions will do all in our power to stop this coup from succeeding, to ensure that those detained are released and to put an immediate end to the violence and the harassment of the people.
The perpetrators of the military coup must be isolated. In line with the statements from The International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) and The European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC) to international institutions, the EU and its member states, LO calls on the Swedish Government to actively contribute to:
- that countries around the world stand together not to recognise or otherwise support the military junta in Myanmar,
- the introduction of sanctions targeted to stop the military's business interests,
- that the EU immediately withdraws Myanmar’s EBA status,
- that the International Financial Institutions (IFI) immediately cease all activities in Myanmar,
- that Myanmar should be deprived of its seat in the United Nations until the legitimately elected representatives can form government.
LO and our affiliates stand in solidarity with our sister organisations in Myanmar and pay tribute to those who are protesting the military takeover of power. We stand united with the people of Myanmar and demand that the election outcome from the first fully democratic elections after 30 years of military dictatorship is respected, and that those democratically elected can immediately form a legitimate government in Myanmar.
The Swedish Trade Union Confederation (LO)